The Vatican has formally declined an invitation to join President Donald Trump’s newly formed “Board of Peace,” signaling a clear preference for existing international conflict-resolution frameworks over the U.S.-led initiative.
Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See’s top diplomat, confirmed Tuesday that the Vatican would not participate in the body, which Trump unveiled earlier this year. The decision follows a January invitation extended to Pope Leo XIV.
The Holy See “will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other states,” Parolin said, drawing a distinction between the Vatican’s diplomatic identity and that of sovereign governments expected to sit on the panel.
Originally conceived as a temporary governing oversight mechanism for Gaza following the most recent outbreak of violence, the “Board of Peace” has since evolved. President Trump has indicated that the body which he chairs would broaden its mandate to address global conflicts beyond the Middle East.
Despite declining participation, Vatican officials emphasized their continued support for multilateral diplomacy. Parolin underscored that the United Nations remains the primary international authority tasked with resolving global crises.
“For us, there are … some critical issues that should be resolved, let’s say,” he said.
“That is, at the international level, it is above all the UN that manages these crisis situations,” he said. “This is one of the, one of the points on which we have insisted.”
The Vatican’s position places it among a number of Western governments that have expressed caution toward the initiative. While at least 19 nations have signed the founding charter since Trump introduced the plan at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, participation has not been universal.
Countries that have endorsed the charter include Argentina, Hungary, Saudi Arabia, Russia and United Arab Emirates.
Meanwhile, Italy and the European Union have indicated their representatives may attend as observers rather than full members, reflecting broader uncertainty within Europe. Most Western nations have so far refrained from joining amid concerns that the new body could weaken or sidestep the authority of the United Nations.
The Vatican’s refusal also comes against a backdrop of visible tensions between Pope Leo XIV and President Trump. Since assuming office, the first American pontiff has publicly criticized several of Trump’s policy decisions.
The Board of Peace’s initial focus — governance in Gaza — remains deeply contentious. A fragile truce that began in October has been repeatedly violated, with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since its implementation.
Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has resulted in more than 72,000 deaths, widespread hunger, and the displacement of nearly the entire population, according to reports. Multiple rights experts, scholars and a U.N. inquiry say the scale of the destruction amounts to genocide. Israel maintains that its actions constitute self-defense following a late 2023 Hamas-led attack that killed 1,200 people and saw more than 250 hostages taken.



