The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has made decisions regarding various incidents that occurred during and after the FIFA World CupTM match between Ghana and Uruguay on December 2, 2022, and the final decision resulted in the suspension of four Uruguay players.
Jose Gimenez, Edinson Cavani, Diego Godin, and Fernando Muslera are the four players banned by FIFA following their actions after Uruguay’s World Cup exit.
On Friday, the Football Association announced Fifa’s final decision against the four Uruguay players and the Uruguayan football team via their official website, where they also announced the fine each player and the Uruguayan Football Association would pay for their actions which is detailed below.
“After a thorough analysis of the various factual elements in light of the applicable provisions of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee found that the Uruguayan Football Association was responsible for the discriminatory behaviour of its supporters as well as for the misconduct, offensive behaviour and violation of the principles of fair play of the members of its representative team.” FIFA said in its statement.
What Actually Happened?
Following their World Cup exit, several Uruguay players acted inappropriately toward the match officials of their game against Ghana, with the feeling they were robbed of a penalty. Many people were gathered around the referee, and video footage showed Cavani toppling the VAR monitor on his way down the tunnel at the end of the game.
Here’s FIFA’s Decision
In this respect, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee imposed the following sanctions
- The Uruguayan Football Association – partial stadium closure (the stands behind the goals) at its next FIFA “A” international match as host association and a fine of CHF 50,000 ($54,288)
- José María Giménez – a four-match suspension, performance of community football service and a fine of CHF 20,000 ($21,715)
- Fernando Muslera – a four-match suspension, performance of community football service and a fine of CHF 20,000 ($21,715)
- Edinson Cavani – a one-match suspension, performance of community football service and a fine of CHF 15,000 ($16,286)
- Diego Godín – a one-match suspension, performance of community football service and a fine of CHF 15,000 ($16,286)
The aforementioned match suspensions will be served during the next official matches of the representative team of the Uruguayan Football Association.
Read Latest Sports News Here
Do you enjoy reading from Townflex? Do You Want Notifications From Us On Our Latest Post? If so, click on the Red bell icon below to subscribe to our feed, which will appear in your smartphone’s notification after we publish a new article. You may also follow us on Twitter at @Townflexgh, Facebook at Townflex, and Telegram at @Townflex.