Wissa’s penalty secures DR Congo’s spot in the Afcon semi-finals

By Majesty 3 Min Read

DR Congo stages a comeback to defeat Guinea 3-1 and secure a spot in the semi-finals of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

Mohamed Bayo initially put Guinea in the lead with a penalty in the 20th minute after being fouled by Chancel Mbemba. However, Mbemba redeemed himself by equalizing with a narrow-angle shot seven minutes later.

In the second half, DR Congo earned a penalty when Julian Jeanvier fouled Silas, and Brentford forward Yoane Wissa successfully converted it, giving the Leopards the lead with 25 minutes remaining.

We're now on WhatsAppClick here to join.

After falling behind, the West Africans could muster little resistance, and the outcome was assured when Arthur Masuaku’s free kick from a wide angle on the left side beat Guinea goalkeeper Ibrahim Kone at the near post.

After defeating Egypt on penalties in the round of 16, DR Congo had drawn all four of their prior games in Ivory Coast. They are currently getting ready for their first semifinal appearance since finishing third in 2015.

In the last four on Wednesday, Sebastien Desabre’s team will play the victorious team from Saturday’s quarterfinal match between Mali and the hosts, Ivory Coast (17:00 GMT).

Guinea’s early appeals for a penalty were denied when Mbemba’s hand brushed the ball in the opening minute. However, after Wissa missed a chance for DR Congo, Guinea was awarded a penalty that sparked controversy.

Bayo went down under Mbemba’s challenge while trying to reach Diakite’s cross, and referee Mustapha Ghorbal deemed Mbemba’s contact on Bayo’s back worthy of a foul, despite Congolese protests. The Video Assistant Referee did not intervene, and Bayo converted the penalty to score his third goal of the tournament.

Mbemba redeemed himself by scoring with a left-footed shot from Masuaku’s corner. Guinea missed an opportunity to regain the lead when Conte failed to connect properly with the ball, and DR Congo was awarded a penalty shortly after when Jeanvier fouled Silas.

Wissa converted the penalty, securing DR Congo’s lead. Despite bringing Guirassy off the bench, Guinea struggled to respond. Masuaku sealed the victory for DR Congo with a dipping left-footed shot, leaving Guinea goalkeeper Kone helpless.

Guirassy’s injury-time header was deflected wide, and Silas missed a chance to score DR Congo’s fourth goal by firing over from inside the area.

For team news, transfers, etc, visit our Latest Sports News Page. Follow our Website: On WhatsApp || Twitter || Facebook || Telegram || Townflex || Townflex || YouTube 1 || YouTube 2 || Google News ||

Share This Article